Fire at KSU rec center causes closure


Around noon on Friday, the Manhattan Fire Department was dispatched to 1831 Olympic Drive, for a report of a possible structure fire.

Upon arrival at the Chester E. Peters Recreational Complex on the Kansas State University Campus, crews were met with smoke filling the building.  Crews discovered a small fire in one of the gymnasiums and extinguished the fire.  The fire sprinkler system activated but did not extinguish the fire due to the location.  A total of  17 firefighters responded on 6 fire apparatus with the last units clearing just after 2:00 p.m.  No injuries were reported and all occupants had exited the building prior to our arrival.

The fire cause is accidental due to light fixture catching on fire and dropping burning material on a cart that contained blankets and other combustibles.  Kansas State University plans on closing the center for the rest of the day on Friday.  The fire loss is not available at this time.