Safe Kids Kansas says watch out for ‘silent killer’ this winter

As we try to stay warm this winter, it’s important to keep your family safe from carbon monoxide poisoning.

“Sometimes it’s called the silent killer,” said Cherie Sage with Safe Kids Kansas. “It’s a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas. There’s no way to know you are truly being poisoned unless you have some type of a detector.”

It also can make you feel similar to some other winter illnesses.

“The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are nausea, dizziness, headaches, confusion, can even be, you know, a person losing consciousness,” said Sage. “It’s really important to make sure that prevention is on your side.”

As much as possible, keep heat sources gases headed to the open air.

“Have your furnaces inspected,” said Sage. “Make sure that, if you are warming up a vehicle, that you pull it outside of a garage. Even with the garage door open, it can accumulate those gases. It’s really important that you also have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home. That should be placed in, really the same places that you would have a smoke alarm.”

For more information about CO poisoning, visit, or call the Poison Control Hotline at (800) 222-1222.