With the tax deadline now a week away, it’s important to file for an extension if you’re going to need one.

“Even if you can’t file by the 15th, maybe you’re missing some forms, you can get an extension of time to file,” said IRS spokesman Michael Devine. “I’ve seen that a lot of people think an extension of time to file is also an extension of time to pay and that’s not true. Your taxes are due on April 15th.”

You need to communicate with the IRS if you know you owe. There are lots of ways to pay.

“You can use what we call IRS Direct Pay,” said Devine. “It’s free. It’s fast. It’s secure. The money goes right from your bank account into the Department of the Treasury. You can also pay by mail if you want to send a check. Those are made out to the U.S. Treasury.”

You can also let the IRS know if you can’t pay in full and they’ll work with you on an installment agreement.

“The worst thing you can do if you owe money is ignore the IRS,” said Devine. “Sooner or later, we’re going to knock on the door and say, hey, you owe us some money, please pay it now.”

It’s important to note though, that the IRS will mail you a letter if they need to communicate with you. They won’t call and threaten you and they don’t take gift cards. If you get a call, it’s likely a scam. Hang up and call them back at 800-829-1040 and find out what your situation really is.